If you made a New Year’s Resolution, you aren’t alone. This year, over 40% of people made a New Year’s Resolution, however, after just one month half of those people have already given up. Below are 9 tips on how to make your Resolution last:
- Focus on one resolution, rather than several
- Set realistic, specific goals. Losing weight is not a specific goal. Losing 10 pounds in 90 days would be
- Don’t wait till New Year’s eve to make resolutions. Make it a year long process
- Take small steps. Many people quit because the goal is too big requiring too big a step all at once
- Have an accountability buddy, someone close to you that you have to report to
- Celebrate your success between milestones. Don’t wait the goal to be finally completed
- Focus your thinking on new behaviors and thought patterns. You have to create new neural pathways in your brain to change habits
- Focus on the present. What’s the one thing you can do today, right now, towards your goal?
- Be mindful. Become physically, emotionally and mentally aware of your inner state as each external event happens,moment by moment, rather than living in the past or future.
Information courtesy of PsychologyToday.com – “Why New Year’s Resolutions Fail.” Psychology Today. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Jan. 2017.